Queens birthday 2019
Get ready for QB19! Wellington Orienteering Club and Red Kiwi Orienteers Manawatu are excited to host three days of top-quality foot orienteering. We're looking forward to welcoming around 500 runners from all over New Zealand - and further abroad too!
When? Saturday 1 June – Monday 3 June, 2019
Where? Palmerston North and surrounds
Entries are now open at: https://entries.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/
Entries close Friday 17 May 2019.
Saturday 1st June
Race: Multiday distance
First Start: 11 am
Map: Whirokino - remapped 2019, large areas last used in the 1990's
Location: Waiterere Forest
Planner: Stuart Engleback
Controller: Dick Dinsdale & William Power
Terrain: Sand dune pine forest with areas of good runnability and complex detail, combined with grassed open dune farmland.
Sunday 2nd June
Race: Double sprint, including a sprint relay for school and elite grades in the afternoon
Map: Palmerston North Schools - new maps 2019
Location: Palmerston North
Planner: Simon Teesdale
Controller: Malcolm Ingham
Terrain: School campuses with some gardens.
Monday 3rd June
Race: Multiday length
Course closure: 3 pm
Map: Kaikokopu - remapped 2019, last major event Queen's Birthday 2012
Terrain: Blocks of pine forest with complex contours with some flat open farmland in between.
The races at QB19 will double as:
- Trials for the NZSS team to contest the Southern Cross Challenge in September
- New Zealand Secondary Schools Regional Challenge (see below for more information)
- Pinestars/Bushrangers test match in the M/W 21 E grades
- Junior Pinestars/junior Bushrangers test match in the M/W 20 E grades
- Round 4 of the National Orienteering League
The first starts on the Saturday morning will be from 11 am, and course closure on Monday will be at 3 pm.
If flying in to Palmerston North airport, allow at least 1 hour to get to the first event.
If travelling from Wellington please bear in mind that traffic between Wellington and Levin is notoriously bad on holiday weekends, with long delays likely, especially around Otaki in both directions and Paekakariki southbound. Allow plenty of time for this journey if travelling from or to Wellington airport.
Explanation for Secondary School competitors
QB19 incorporates the 2019 regional schools challenge, and the trials for the NZ secondary school representative team which will compete in the Australian schools championships at the end of September.
The grades for school students are different to those at other competitions. The M/W 14/16/18 grades will be replaced with Junior Girls/Boys and Senior Girls/Boys grades.
The Senior A grades will be running red level courses, the Junior A and Senior B grades will run orange level courses, and the Junior B grades will run yellow courses.
- All races at QB19 will be trials for the selection of a NZ Secondary Schools representative team to compete in Australia from 28 September to 6 October, 2019.
- Senior Boys/Girls A or B is for those born in 2001, 2002 or 2003
- Junior Boys/Girls A or B is for those born in 2004 or later.
- All students seeking selection for the NZSS team must enter the appropriate A grade event (and must be year 9 or above).
- Regional schools teams may include year 8 students but year 8 students are not eligible for NZSS selection
Runners should allow up to 1 hour's driving time to get between Palmerston North and other event centres.
There will be pre-allocated start times and age categories. Entry on the day will be limited or unavailable.
Details will be updated here and at Orienteering NZ Events.
We recommend basing yourself in Palmerston North for the weekend. Palmerston North is the hub of the Manawatu region and has a wide range of accommodation and services. It is conveniently serviced by direct flights from Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. Find out more.
Grades for day 1 and 3
Senior Boys A
Senior Girls A
|9||Junior Boys A|
Senior Boys B
|10||M40B||Senior Girls B|
|11||Junior Girls A||Orange|
Junior Boys B
Junior Girls B
Grades for day 2 (sprints)
Senior Boys A
Senior Girls A
|8||Junior Boys A||Orange|
|9||Junior Girls A||Orange|
Please enter online using the following link: https://entries.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/